Sunday, March 7, 2010

English Grammar question


English Grammar question?
I need help with numbers 2, 4, 5 1.2 Name the underlined and numbered tenses (or verb phrases) in the following text and comment on the meaning. Example: was waiting = past progressive (or continuous) used to talk about an activity in progress that was interrupted As I ---was waiting--- (1) in line at the immigration counter, I ---became--- (2) aware of the fact that I was surrounded by people of my own nationality once again. I ---had been--- (3) away for almost five years and I was no longer used to their accents and style of dressing. Finally, my passport ---was stamped--- (4) by a man who welcomed me back home and I exited into the arrival lounge of the airport. My parents were there to greet me. ‘You ---haven’t changed---- (5) at all,’ said my mother as she hugged me. My father avoided saying anything personal. ‘Not a very good welcome home, I’m afraid. It’s raining (6) outside,’ he said. I suddenly felt that coming home was a big mistake. 1.3. When studying verb phrases with foreign learners, it is often necessary to analyse the form of each verb phrase, that is, to break it down into its component parts. If we take the first example from the text above, we can analyse the form in the following way: I was waiting in line... past continuous (or progressive) = subject+ was / were+verb + ‘-ing’ (or present participle) Now identify the name of the following underlined verb phrases (or tenses) and analyse their form in a way that is similar to the above example. 7. I’ve been living here for more than ten years. 8. I’ll be leaving here on Friday. 9. Toyota cars are made in Japan. 3.2 List the number of syllables and mark the stressed syllable in the following words: Example:photo - 2 syllables 1. photograph photographerphotographic 2. politicspoliticalpolitician 3.3 In the following two-line conversation, decide which word in B’s reply is stressed. Example:A: Where do you come from? B: I come from ---Well---ington. 1.A: Do you come from Wellington? B: No, I work in ---Well---ington. 2.A: Which one do you want to buy? B: I want the green one. 3.A: Do you want to buy the green one? B: No, I want to rent it. 4.A: I’m six foot. B: No, how old are you? 4.1 Rewrite the following text punctuating it and changing any words to make it seem more natural. Example: This is your … this is your invitation to cruise onboard the worlds most famous ship and experience the worlds most famous ships unequalled reputation for style comfort and personalised service in january nineteen ninety six queen elizabeth two embarks on queen elizabeth twos annual world cruise and queen elizabeth two will again offer new zealand passengers unique and affordable opportunities to experience a slice of the ultimate adventure BIG THANKS!!
Homework Help - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
1.2 Name the underlined and numbered tenses (or verb phrases) in the following text and comment on the meaning. 1- Past progressive. It describes a past action which was happening when another action occurred. 2- Irregular past tense. It expresses an action or situation that was started and finished in the past. 3- Past perfect progressive. It describes a past, ongoing action that was completed before some other past action. 4- Past perfect. It designates action in the past just as simple past does, but the action of the past perfect is action completed in the past before another action. (not certain about this one, sorry). 5- Present perfect, It describes an action that happened at an indefinite time in the past or that began in the past and continues in the present. 6- Present progressive. It describes an ongoing action that is happening at the same time the statement is written. 1.3. When studying verb phrases with foreign learners, it is often necessary to analyse the form of each verb phrase, that is, to break it down into its component parts. I'm not familiar with that format so I'll answer in the way I learned in high school. 7. Present perfect progressive = auxiliaries have been + main verb live + ‘-ing’ 8- Future progressive tense = auxiliaries will be + main verb leave + ‘-ing’ 9. Present Simple Tense = auxiliary are + main verb made 3.2 List the number of syllables and mark the stressed syllable in the following words: 1. PHOtograph (3) phoTOgrapher (4) photoGRAPHic (4) 2. POLitics (3) poLITical (4) poliTICian (4) 3.3 In the following two-line conversation, decide which word in B’s reply is stressed. 1. No, I work in WELLington. 2. I WANT the green one. 3. No, I WANT to rent it. 4. No, how OLD are you? (not sure but usually adjectives are stressed). 4.1 Rewrite the following text punctuating it and changing any words to make it seem more natural. You are invited to cruise onboard the world’s most famous ship, Queen Elizabeth II, and experience its unequalled reputation for style comfort and personalized service. This January,1996, Queen Elizabeth II embarks on its annual world cruise, offering New Zealand passengers unique and affordable opportunities to be a part of the ultimate adventure. We hope to see you there! Hope I helped! Peace :)