Thursday, October 21, 2010

Laws about PAYCHECKS..in


Laws about PAYCHECKS..in ?
So...every week I am supposed to get my paycheck on a Friday...I work at a hotel in Okeechobee, and the owner lives in Wellington, 1hour and a half away. The manager faxes him payroll on TIME every week, but he is to lazy to send his stuff on time. So some weeks I get my paycheck on saturday, on whenever Fedex shows up. It has even been as bad as 4 days...all because he is lazy and stupid. So my question is... IS there anything I can do to get him to realize hey...you need to send them on time...or find a different solution... Sometimes I have bills that need to be paid THAT day, and I can't pay it b/c he didn't send the checks. Who pays the late fee??? So I have spoken with the manager and she has spoken to the owner.. when the manager gets payroll which is on a wed. as soon as she gets it she faxes it to the owner...his response it well they need to get it to me faster. he has two days to get the checks there...and dosn't care if they get there on time or not. He basicly said well the employees that can't wait should just be replaced. I was very fortunate to fnd this job..it's a shitty one, but in the small town I live in I was lucky to find this. I don't want to quit and I have been looking for another job but no one is hiring....Is he breaking a law?
Law & Ethics - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You can write your employer a letter and POLITELY ask him to set a specific day of the week that his employees can be assured that their paychecks will arrive or be deposited directly into their checking accounts. Don't be sarcastic or whinney about it. It would also help if you could get all or most of the people in your workplace to sign it also...so the employer would know that all have the same feelings and concerns.
2 :
I understand it's not easy but you need another job with the economy the way it is things will just get worse.
3 :
As an employer, he is obligated by federal standards and Florida employment law to 1. designate specific pay days and 2. pay his employees on those specific days. (or earlier if the paydate falls on a holiday or day when the business isn't open) Since it is a hotel, I'm sure it's open everyday. As far as what to do, that's hard because you don't want to piss him off even though what he is doing is wrong. Since you report directly to the manager, I would voice your concerns to the manager and let him/her deal with the owner. I would mention something along the lines of "as an employee, I need to be able to depend on receiving my checks on the designated paydays. Just like everyone else, I have bills that must be paid and when we don't get our checks on time, it results in late fees and delinquencies in my financial commitments. I'm not asking for anything unreasonable - it's only right for people to get paid when they are supposed to" I'm sure the manager isn't getting paid on time either and will understand your concerns. This will then place the burden on the manager to discuss the issue w/ the owner. In the interim, keep documentation of EVERYTHING (all dates when you weren't paid on time, record of your talk w/ the manager, etc.) If things do not improve, I would begin quietly looking for another job. When you leave that employer, file a complaint w/ the labor board in your state. The employer will be fined and you could possibly be reimbursed for lost time (the days when you should have had the check & weren't paid yet..) More than likely, they won't have your final check ready when they are supposed to - you get paid for that too.